Naturalisation and Citizenship

If you have been living and working in the UK for some time and consider yourself to be settled here, you may wish to make an application for naturalisation. If your application is successful, you will be granted British citizenship. This will allow you to hold a British passport and work and travel without restriction in the European Union.

Our immigration department has extensive experience in preparing and submitting these applications and will support you throughout the naturalisation process.

For an adult, the process of applying to become a British citizen is called naturalisation while the process for children below the age of 18 is called registration. However, in very limited circumstances, an adult may also apply for British nationality through registration.

The registration category is not only open for children under 18 years, but also for British overseas or Overseas Territory nationals, those who gave up British citizenship previously, and stateless persons. Each category has different requirements.

We deal in a wide range of British Nationality and Citizenship applications including:

British Nationality and Citizenship

As mentioned above, adults can apply for naturalisation while children under 18 years will apply for registration. The applicant for naturalisation must be

  • 18 years of age or above;
  • be of good character;
  • be of sound mind;
  • have intention of living in the UK
  • can fluently converse/communicate in English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic;
  • fulfils the required residential qualifying period; and
  • held Settled Status/Permanent Residence for a minimum period of 12 months prior to applying

Registering a Child as a British Citizen

Depending upon your situation, you can apply for registering a child as a British citizen. This would allow you to offer the child an opportunity to live in the UK without any visa and never even have the need to apply for visa to travel to various countries across the globe. The citizenship will also allow the child to live in any of the 28 EU member states visa-free. The requirements for UK citizen travelling to EU counties may of course change after the UK completely leave the EU.

Who Can Register?

  • Children born in the UK to non-UK-national parents who have become Settled in the UK
  • Children who hold ILR but were born outside of the UK
  • If the child was born outside of UK but one of the parents is now applying for British citizenship, then the child will be entitled to apply for Registration if the parents’ application is approved
  • Children born in the UK to an EEA national parent, who don’t have British citizenship and had Permanent Residence in the UK at the time of their birth
  • Children born in the UK and have lived in the UK for a minimum of 10 years.

Registering BNO as a British Citizen

  • British National Overseas (BNO) was a status created under the Hong Kong Act 1985 and came into effect from 1stJuly 1987
  • If you happen to be a BNO, you can register as a British national

Registering a Stateless Person as a British Citizen

  • The United Nations Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness sets the criteria for a stateless person which the UK regulations also adhere to
  • The criteria are described in the Schedule 2 of the British Nationality Act 1981
  • The Act lays out provision for acquiring citizenship and statuses created according to the Act by individuals who are regarded as stateless.

Our experts in immigration lawyers can advise you whether you qualify for registration as a British citizen.